Importance of Internships for Architecture Students
Well, you’ve all heard the term “internship,” and I’m sure you have a lot of questions, the first of which is why it’s so important.
An architecture internship is the formal training required to become certified in the profession of architecture, and it is critical for gaining well-rounded experience in both the development and completion phases of design and construction projects
You might also have questions like why should we waste our time when we can focus on our education and avoid any hassle?
Fret no more! I’m here to answer all your queries you may have. In this article, I will do my best to provide you with the best reasons to explain why internships are so important in the real world for architecture students.
4 genuine reasons why Internship is Important for Architecture Students
As you all know Experience gives you a vision, and vision attracts money. This experience is also a factor in landing a good job or starting a business. An internship provides you with exactly that kind of experience. For all young minds, it’s a suitcase that contains all of the skills you’ll need to succeed in your field.
Let’s take a look inside this suitcase and see how this internship can help you stand out among your peers and excel at your job.
Internship provides you with Field Experience:
To be honest, being an architect is not an easy job! You’d have to get your hands dirty (in literal meaning). You must visit sites and remain vigilant 24 hours a day, seven days a week, because not only do aesthetics matter in this field, but many people’s lives are dependent on the architect.
Internship provides you with tools how to work. It gives you the detailed overview on what you are about to get into.
- You will get familiar with building designs and learn the tools and soft-wares you will be using to make them. This may include presentation and working drawings, 3D visualization and renderings.
- You get to learn basics of building structures and process of its formation. This process may include building physical models of actual design with same functioning to get a better understanding of structure.
So, in order to excel in all of these areas, you must gain experience by observing and working under the supervision of seniors, so that when you enter the field, you will know exactly what to do and how to do it!
Internship Grows Connections with Potential Clients:
This is likely one of the most important reasons why you should get an internship before applying for a job. As we’ve all seen, dealing with clients in a professional manner is no easy task.
- Internships aid in the development of long-term client relationships because they get to know you before you even start working.
- Internships allow you to practice listening and understanding what clients want and need, as well as how they want their work to be done, before facing them in the field.
- It teaches you how to better present your ideas, thoughts, and vision to clients.
- When you pay attention to your surroundings and observe your seniors interacting with clients, you will learn how to connect with them on a deeper level, allowing you to see into their minds and provide services that meet their needs.
- Apart from that, you will form connections with the company where you are interning for future jobs. and plus point? Fortunately, if you are on their client’s desired and good list, and they may hire you directly for their projects.
Patience to Handle Clients
Patience is the gold key to success. It is essential in every aspect of life, including the workplace, where you are constantly listening to client instructions and briefs for changes or in marriage (no kidding!).
Changing your design 9574645 times to meet your client’s expectations and eventually finalizing the first one will test your patience to the limit. It’s not over yet! The actual piece of building might also need changing that you got to do somehow!
You may not understand what I’m saying here, but once you get there, you’ll realize that this is the most important aspect in the practical field, and only an internship can prepare you for it!
Internship gives you Field Knowledge
One of the benefits of internships for students is the variety of knowledge they gain from the best and most experienced people in the field. This skill is also one of the most important aspects of internships.
- As you learn more, your brain’s thinking mechanism changes and you put that knowledge to track.
- With the better learning, you realize your mistakes and the more you correct them, the more you succeed.
How much would an Intern Architect Earn?
Internships are basically of two kinds. Paid and Un-paid. In the early span of your internship you are mostly hired as an unpaid architect as you would be new to everything and you would be needing some time to settle in the environment and understand your work. This span varies company to company and also depends on the learning capabilities of student.
But once you get hired as a paid intern architect in a good firm then you might earn some very good money. This rate is determined by the firm with which you are affiliated, its clients, and the location of your office. (country specifically)
- If you are living in Pakistan your salary may start from Rs20,000 per month and may go to 50,000 to 70,000 per month
- If you are a U.S resident, your salary may vary from$31,000 to $60,000.
- Other countries that offer highest pay rates for intern Architects are: Ireland Qatar, Canada, Australia, the UK and Switzerland.
Being an intern can be very time consuming because you have to invest a lot more in things like food, transportation, time, and everything else. As a result, some students may shy away from internships or believe that we know everything and can get jobs easily, which is a common misconception among many of us. However, this small investment of time and life can provide you with the best experience. You’ll be able to learn new things for the rest of your life. You will not only learn about work and management, but you will also make unforgettable memories with some of the most incredible people. You may meet life partners and amazing friends with whom you can connect on a deeper level, and you will also have the opportunity to socialize and meet new people outside of your school or university.